||Oct 02, 2023 – Dec 08, 2023
||Sep 22, 2023 at 4pm ET (CLOSED)
||Sep 26, 2023 at 4pm ET
||Sep 28, 2023 at 4pm ET
||Jan 22, 2024 – Apr 05, 2024
||Jan 12, 2024 at 4pm ET
||Jan 16, 2024 at 4pm ET
||Jan 18, 2024 at 4pm ET
|Late Winter 2024
||Feb 19, 2024 – Apr 19, 2024
||Feb 09, 2024 at 4pm ET
||Feb 13, 2024 at 4pm ET
||Feb 15, 2024 at 4pm ET
Deadline dates are subject to change.
- Course Dates: Oct 02, 2023 – Dec 08, 2023
- Application Deadline: Sep 22, 2023 at 4pm ET (CLOSED)
- Document Deadline: Sep 26, 2023 at 4pm ET
- Payment Deadline: Sep 28, 2023 at 4pm ET
- Course Dates: Jan 22, 2024 – Apr 05, 2024
- Application Deadline: Jan 12, 2024 at 4pm ET
- Document Deadline: Jan 16, 2024 at 4pm ET
- Payment Deadline: Jan 18, 2024 at 4pm ET
Late Winter 2024
- Course Dates: Feb 19, 2024 – Apr 19, 2024
- Application Deadline: Feb 09, 2024 at 4pm ET
- Document Deadline: Feb 13, 2024 at 4pm ET
- Payment Deadline: Feb 15, 2024 at 4pm ET
"What do you do for a living?"
"I am a teacher librarian."
"I've always wanted to be a librarian!"
"Oh wow! That would be a rewarding job too! I love being a teacher librarian!"
In this course you will explore the library administrator role of the teacher librarian and the considerable impact it has on the school’s reading and learning culture. Close attention is paid to the many practices and policies that could have a positive impact on those cultures. The course examines how to be an effective and equitable library administrator.
What You Will Learn and Do
In this course you’ll have the opportunity to
- dig deeper into the library administrator role of the teacher librarian
- discover the importance of freedom of information and how to provide it for students through the library learning commons (LLC)
- examine various classification systems used to organize school library collections and explore their implications
- use the values of Canadian teacher librarians as a foundation for collection development
- investigate current challenges teacher librarians face in collection development and organization
- explore strategies for developing inclusive LLC spaces and collections and create a circulation policy with a focus on equity
- develop a statement to support freedom of information and connect your evolving vision and mission statements to your understanding of building a culture of reading and learning for all
- develop a plan to have a positive impact on the reading and learning school culture of your school
Each module includes a variety of resources, such as articles, videos, websites, podcasts and other media, as well as discussion posts, reflective tasks, collaborative tasks, culminating tasks, and assignments.
|Module 1: Collection Development Part 1
|Module 2: Collection Development Part 2
Progress Update 1
|Module 3: Collection Organization and Promotion
|Module 4: Collection Practices and Policies
|Module 6: Building an Inclusive Culture in the LLC
Progress Update 2
|Module 7: Action Plan
|Module 7: Putting Your Learning Together
1. Courses and Post-Graduate Certificates are approved by TQS for Category Upgrade. If you would like these courses to be used towards Category Upgrading, you must have a valid BC Teacher Certificate.
ECEs, EAs, and other education professionals are welcome to take the courses without Certification.
2. Completion of Teacher Librarian Part 1
*Teaching Experience is not required but it is advised that candidates gain some experience before completing the second and specialist courses. There are many opportunities to gain experience through volunteer work and community based programs.
There are no additional resources required for this course.
Applicants who require accommodations for a specific learning need (e.g., learning disability) within their AQ/ABQ course, should click here for further information and support.
Have a question? Contact us!
If you drop a course:
- by the midpoint of the course, you will receive 100% of your course fee.
- after the midpoint, before the end of the course, you will receive 50% of your course fee.
||100% Refund Deadline
||50% Refund Deadline
|Late Summer 2023||Sep 02, 2023||Sep 29, 2023|
|Fall 2023||Nov 04, 2023||Dec 08, 2023|
|Fall/Winter 2023||Dec 23, 2023||Feb 09, 2024|
|Winter 2024||Feb 27, 2024||Apr 05, 2024|
|Late Winter 2024||Mar 20, 2024||Apr 19, 2024|
Late Summer 2023
- 100% Refund Deadline: Sep 02, 2023
- 50% Refund Deadline: Sep 29, 2023
- 100% Refund Deadline: Nov 04, 2023
- 50% Refund Deadline: Dec 08, 2023
- 100% Refund Deadline: Dec 23, 2023
- 50% Refund Deadline: Feb 09, 2024
- 100% Refund Deadline: Feb 27, 2024
- 50% Refund Deadline: Apr 05, 2024
Late Winter 2024
- 100% Refund Deadline: Mar 20, 2024
- 50% Refund Deadline: Apr 19, 2024
For more about our refund policies, visit our Fees & Refunds page.