||Jan 24, 2022 – Apr 08, 2022
||Jan 14, 2022
||Jun 27, 2022 – Aug 12, 2022
||Jun 17, 2022
- Dates: Jan 24, 2022 – Apr 08, 2022
- Deadline: Jan 14, 2022
- Status: Open
- Dates: Jun 27, 2022 – Aug 12, 2022
- Deadline: Jun 17, 2022
- Status: Open
Registration will remain open until 4pm EST on the posted registration deadline date.
"The truth," as Jacques Maritain observed, "has a sleeping aptitude for the embrace of the mind." While truth illuminates many disciplines, the truth of Science is developed from inferential reasoning using the epistemology of the scientific method: problem identification, hypothesis formation, experimental testing, observation of results, making conclusions, controlled repeated experimentation, and model building. Our experience therefore suggests that encouraging young minds to embrace the methods and results of scientific inquiry requires a more wide-awake effort on our part as Science teachers.
This Senior Science Additional Basic Qualification course concentrates on four of the senior Science courses of the Ontario Curriculum, SVN 3M, SVN 3E, SNC 4M and SNC 4E, and can be accessed through the curriculum resources website of the Ontario Ministry of Education and Training, found at: http://www.edu.gov.on.ca/eng/curriculum/secondary/science.html.
The emphasis in this course is on the development of student-centred learning strategies that support students' conceptual development and promote enduring understanding of Science.
Our course will ask you for 125 hours of reading, writing and thinking about:
- how students learn Science
- how we teach Science
- what resources can help us to improve our teaching
- what enduring knowledge our students take away from their learning
- how opinions and experiences of other candidates compare with yours
During this time you will complete tasks and assignments where you will:
- develop several different types of lesson plans • probe your own teaching and learning styles
- reflect on your practice of teaching Science
- collaborate with colleagues
- communicate your understanding of teaching
- develop a plan for ongoing improvement of teaching and learning
1) OCT MEMBERSHIP
We will use the OCT number you provide during online registration to confirm you are an OCT member with an undergraduate degree.
2) YOUR UNDERGRADUATE/GRADUATE UNIVERSITY TRANSCRIPT(S)*
Your transcript(s) must show: The equivalent of 3.0 full-year undergraduate/graduate courses in Science or the equivalent of 2.0 full-year undergraduate/graduate courses if you already hold another senior qualification. Courses can include Biology, Chemistry or Physics.
*If you completed a Queen's undergrad (at any time), or a B.Ed., Honour Specialist, or an Intermediate or Senior ABQ course with us within the last 4 years you are not required to resend your transcripts.
Applicants who require accommodations for a specific learning need (e.g., learning disability) within their AQ/ABQ course, should click here for further information and support.
Have a question? Contact us!
If you drop a course:
- by the midpoint of the course, you will receive 100% of your course fee.
- after the midpoint, before the end of the course, you will receive 50% of your course fee.
||100% Refund Deadline
||50% Refund Deadline
|Fall/Winter 2021||Dec 24, 2021||Feb 11, 2022|
|Winter 2022||Feb 25, 2022||Apr 08, 2022|
|Late Winter 2022||Mar 18, 2022||Apr 22, 2022|
|Spring 2022||May 06, 2022||Jun 10, 2022|
|Late Spring 2022||Jun 03, 2022||Jul 01, 2022|
|Summer 2022||Jul 15, 2022||Aug 12, 2022|
|Late Summer 2022||Sep 02, 2022||Sep 30, 2022|
- 100% Refund Deadline: Dec 24, 2021
- 50% Refund Deadline: Feb 11, 2022
- 100% Refund Deadline: Feb 25, 2022
- 50% Refund Deadline: Apr 08, 2022
Late Winter 2022
- 100% Refund Deadline: Mar 18, 2022
- 50% Refund Deadline: Apr 22, 2022
- 100% Refund Deadline: May 06, 2022
- 50% Refund Deadline: Jun 10, 2022
Late Spring 2022
- 100% Refund Deadline: Jun 03, 2022
- 50% Refund Deadline: Jul 01, 2022
- 100% Refund Deadline: Jul 15, 2022
- 50% Refund Deadline: Aug 12, 2022
Late Summer 2022
- 100% Refund Deadline: Sep 02, 2022
- 50% Refund Deadline: Sep 30, 2022
For more about our refund policies, visit our Fees & Refunds page.