||Jan 24, 2022 – Apr 08, 2022
||Jan 14, 2022
||Jun 27, 2022 – Aug 12, 2022
||Jun 17, 2022
|Late Summer 2022
||Aug 08, 2022 – Sep 30, 2022
||Jul 29, 2022
- Dates: Jan 24, 2022 – Apr 08, 2022
- Deadline: Jan 14, 2022
- Status: Open
- Dates: Jun 27, 2022 – Aug 12, 2022
- Deadline: Jun 17, 2022
- Status: Open
Late Summer 2022
- Dates: Aug 08, 2022 – Sep 30, 2022
- Deadline: Jul 29, 2022
- Status: Open
Registration will remain open until 4pm EST on the posted registration deadline date.
This course is designed for teachers pursuing additional qualification in Intermediate Geography. Geography is more than just maps. It’s a rich, complex discipline that engages all learners and supports 21st century skills, such as literacy, numeracy, and geotechnology. The course critically explores the concepts of teaching inquiry and describes approaches to teaching geography. Each module's culminating activity builds towards the course culminating activity—an inquiry project. You will choose an inquiry question based on teaching geography, then work to answer your own question. In Module 6 you will post a draft of your inquiry, and fellow candidates will provide feedback for you to revise your work. The intent of the inquiry-based approach is to honour the needs of practicing professionals. Candidates will explore areas of personal interest, while staying anchored to the OCT expectations for the Intermediate Geography AQ course. Areas of investigation include supporting a diverse range of learners in the geography classroom, exploring how to close achievement gaps for students, and looking at how geotechnology can be used as an engagement strategy for students.
In this course you will have the opportunity to:
- propose a topic for a guided inquiry related to your own teaching needs and practice, to investigate and complete
- collaborate with colleagues throughout the inquiry process
- understand that geography is a flexible, diverse discipline that can support the needs of an integrated classroom and allow teachers to synthesize literacy and numeracy skills
- explore strategies for incorporating different literacies, skills, and technologies into the teaching of geography
- critically reflect on the inquiry process that forms the basis of the geography curriculum, and how to use that approach to enhance student engagement and achievement
- explore 21st century skills and competencies in school effectiveness, particularly with regards to classroom practice and student achievement
- critically reflect on and learn how to implement policies to support student achievement for all learners in the 21st century classroom
- evaluate the usefulness of different technologies to support student engagement, student learning, and student achievement
1) OCT MEMBERSHIP
We will use the OCT number you provide during online registration to confirm you are an OCT member with an undergraduate degree.
2) YOUR UNDERGRADUATE/GRADUATE UNIVERSITY TRANSCRIPT(S)*
Your transcript(s) must show: The equivalent of 3.0 full-year undergraduate/graduate courses in Geography or the equivalent of 2.0 full-year undergraduate/graduate courses if you already hold another intermediate qualification. Courses may be accepted from Geography, Geology, Environmental Science, etc.
*If you completed a Queen's undergrad (at any time), or a B.Ed., Honour Specialist, or an Intermediate or Senior ABQ course with us within the last 4 years you are not required to resend your transcripts.
Applicants who require accommodations for a specific learning need (e.g., learning disability) within their AQ/ABQ course, should click here for further information and support.
Have a question? Contact us!
If you drop a course:
- by the midpoint of the course, you will receive 100% of your course fee.
- after the midpoint, before the end of the course, you will receive 50% of your course fee.
||100% Refund Deadline
||50% Refund Deadline
|Fall/Winter 2021||Dec 24, 2021||Feb 11, 2022|
|Winter 2022||Feb 25, 2022||Apr 08, 2022|
|Late Winter 2022||Mar 18, 2022||Apr 22, 2022|
|Spring 2022||May 06, 2022||Jun 10, 2022|
|Late Spring 2022||Jun 03, 2022||Jul 01, 2022|
|Summer 2022||Jul 15, 2022||Aug 12, 2022|
|Late Summer 2022||Sep 02, 2022||Sep 30, 2022|
- 100% Refund Deadline: Dec 24, 2021
- 50% Refund Deadline: Feb 11, 2022
- 100% Refund Deadline: Feb 25, 2022
- 50% Refund Deadline: Apr 08, 2022
Late Winter 2022
- 100% Refund Deadline: Mar 18, 2022
- 50% Refund Deadline: Apr 22, 2022
- 100% Refund Deadline: May 06, 2022
- 50% Refund Deadline: Jun 10, 2022
Late Spring 2022
- 100% Refund Deadline: Jun 03, 2022
- 50% Refund Deadline: Jul 01, 2022
- 100% Refund Deadline: Jul 15, 2022
- 50% Refund Deadline: Aug 12, 2022
Late Summer 2022
- 100% Refund Deadline: Sep 02, 2022
- 50% Refund Deadline: Sep 30, 2022
For more about our refund policies, visit our Fees & Refunds page.